In India, the solution to ehicle theft and unauthorized vehicle comes in the form of High-Security Number Plates (HSRPs).
HSRPs are specialized license plates that incorporate advanced security features to enhance vehicle identification and curb counterfeiting.
What is HSRP in India
High-Security Registration Plates (HSRP) are state-of-the-art license plates designed with advanced security features to curb counterfeiting, tampering, and vehicle-related crimes. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) has stated that it is necessary for all Indians to have an HSRP Number Plate Registration.
HSRP is made of aluminum or other durable materials and consists of a unique identification number, a hologram, and the vehicle’s registration number. These security features make the HSRP virtually impossible to forge, protecting vehicles from theft and illegal activities
The Need for HSRP in India
The implementation of HSRPs in India is driven by the increasing instances of vehicle theft and the rise in counterfeit license plates. According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), there were over 873,080 cases of vehicle theft reported in India in 2020 alone.
Who Needs HSRP?
HSRPs are mandatory for all vehicles in India. Whether you own a car, motorcycle, commercial vehicle, or any other motorized vehicle, you are required to have an HSRP installed. The mandate applies to both new vehicles and existing vehicles, and non-compliance can result in penalties and fines.
What are the Benefits of HSRP Number Plates?
HSRPs offer several benefits that contribute to enhanced vehicle security and road safety. These benefits include:
- Tamper-Proof Design: HSRPs are designed with a unique security feature that prevents tampering, removal, or alteration of the license plate. This ensures the authenticity and integrity of the vehicle’s identification.
- Traceability and Authenticity: HSRPs are integrated with the national vehicle registration database, allowing for easy traceability and verification of vehicles. This helps law enforcement agencies in identifying stolen vehicles and curbing unauthorized vehicle usage.
- Enhanced Visibility: HSRPs are designed with reflective properties, making them highly visible during day and night. This improves the visibility of vehicles on the road, reducing the risk of accidents, especially during low-light conditions.
- Durable and Weather-Resistant: HSRPs are manufactured using high-quality materials that are resistant to fading, cracking, and damage caused by weather conditions. This ensures that the license plate remains legible and intact for a longer duration.
- Prevention of Counterfeiting: HSRPs incorporate advanced security features such as laser-etched vehicle details, making it difficult for counterfeiters to replicate or forge license plates.
How to Apply for High-Security Number Plate
Applying for an HSRP in India involves a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Document Preparation: Gather the necessary documents such as vehicle registration certificate (RC), insurance papers, address proof, and identity proof.
- Choose an Authorized Vendor: Visit the official website of the respective State Transport Department or Regional Transport Office (RTO) to identify the authorized vendor for HSRP installation in your area.
- Online Booking: Book an appointment through the vendor’s online portal or contact their customer service helpline. Provide the required details and select a convenient date and time for the installation.
- Visit the Designated Center: On the scheduled date, visit the designated center along with the necessary documents and the vehicle.
- Verification and Installation: The vendor will verify the documents, conduct necessary checks, and install the HSRP on your vehicle. They will provide you with a receipt and a registration certificate.
The cost of High-Security Number Plates (HSRPs) in India can vary from state to state since the Central Government has not yet capped the price. However, it is essential to understand the average charges associated with HSRPs based on the category of vehicles:
- Two-Wheelers: The average cost of HSRPs for two-wheelers is approximately Rs. 400. It is important to note that this is an average estimate and the actual charges may differ slightly depending on the state or union territory.
- Four-Wheelers: The charges for HSRPs for four-wheelers can range from Rs. 400 to Rs. 1,100, depending on the category to which the vehicle belongs. This categorization is usually based on factors such as the type of vehicle (private or commercial) and its weight.
It is worth mentioning that apart from the HSRP charges, there is an additional mandate for obtaining a color-coded sticker. This sticker is required for identifying the fuel type of the vehicle. The cost of the color-coded sticker is typically around Rs. 100.
Since the HSRP charges are subject to variation, it is advisable to check with the authorized HSRP vendor or the respective State Transport Department/RTO to obtain the precise charges applicable in your area.
Differences Between HSRP and a Normal Number Plate
HSRPs differ significantly from normal number plates in terms of security features, design, and integration with the vehicle registration database. Here are some key differences:
- Security Features: HSRPs incorporate tamper-proof design elements such as non-removable snap locks, hot-stamped chromium-based hologram, and laser-etched vehicle details. Normal number plates lack these advanced security features.
- Integration with Vehicle Registration Database: HSRPs are linked to the vehicle registration database, allowing for easy traceability and verification. Normal number plates do not have this integration.
- Reflective Properties: HSRPs have reflective properties that enhance visibility, especially during low-light conditions. Normal number plates may not have the same level of reflective properties.
- Uniformity and Standardization: HSRPs follow a standardized design and format across the country, ensuring consistency and authenticity. Normal number plates may vary in design and format.
Can I be fined for not having HSRPs if my vehicle is registered before the HSRP mandate came into effect?
Yes, HSRPs are mandatory for all vehicles, regardless of their registration date. It is the responsibility of every vehicle owner to comply with the regulations and have HSRPs installed.
What should I do if my vehicle’s HSRP is damaged or stolen?
In case of a damaged or stolen HSRP, it is essential to report the incident to the nearest police station and contact the authorized HSRP vendor for assistance in replacing the HSRP with a new one.
Is it mandatory to use HSRP?
Yes, it is mandatory to use HSRP on all vehicles as per the government regulations.
How do I activate HSRP?
HSRP doesn’t require activation. Once you get the HSRP installed on your vehicle by an authorized vendor, it becomes active and compliant with the regulations.
What are two purposes of HSRP?
The two main purposes of HSRP are:
- Enhanced Vehicle Security: HSRPs are designed with advanced security features to deter vehicle theft and counterfeiting.
- Easy Identification: HSRPs make it easier for law enforcement authorities to identify and trace vehicles involved in illegal activities.
What is the difference between HSRP plate and sticker?
HSRP plate refers to the main number plate installed on the vehicle, which contains the registration number and security features. On the other hand, the HSRP sticker is a color-coded sticker affixed on the windshield of the vehicle to indicate compliance with emission norms.
What is HSRP and VRRP?
HSRP stands for High Security Number Plate, whereas VRRP stands for Vehicle Registration and Retention Program. Both are initiatives by the government to enhance vehicle security and traceability.
What is the difference between HSRP and IND number plate?
HSRP is the standard high-security number plate mandated by the government, while IND number plates are optional and can be personalized by vehicle owners for an additional fee.
How do I know if my HSRP is real?
To ensure the authenticity of your HSRP, it is recommended to get it installed by authorized vendors appointed by the State Transport Department/RTO. Genuine HSRPs will have the necessary security features and conform to government specifications.
What are the new number plate rules in India?
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the new number plate rules in India include the mandatory installation of HSRPs, color-coded stickers to indicate vehicle emissions, and adherence to specific design and security features for number plates.
Is HSRP color sticker mandatory?
Yes, the HSRP color sticker is mandatory for vehicles to indicate compliance with emission norms.
Is HSRP compulsory in India?
Yes, HSRP is compulsory for all vehicles in India as per government regulations.
Which sticker is mandatory for a car?
The color-coded sticker indicating compliance with emission norms is mandatory for cars.
What is HSRP color sticker?
The HSRP color sticker is a specific sticker affixed on the windshield of vehicles to indicate compliance with emission norms. The color of the sticker varies based on the fuel type and compliance category.
What is the disadvantage of HSRP?
HSRP doesn’t have significant disadvantages. However, some vehicle owners may find the cost of installation and the requirement for compliance to be a potential inconvenience.
What is the cost of the HSRP color-coded sticker?
The cost of the HSRP color-coded sticker may vary depending on the vendor and the state or union territory. It is advisable to check with authorized vendors or the State Transport Department/RTO for accurate pricing information.
How do I replace my HSRP sticker?
In case your HSRP sticker is damaged or needs replacement, you should contact the authorized vendor or the State Transport Department/RTO for the necessary guidance and procedure.
What are the rules for number plates in India?
The rules for number plates in India include using the standardized High Security Number Plates (HSRPs) with specific security features, adhering to the prescribed dimensions and fonts, and displaying the registration number in a clear and visible manner.
What is the color code of the sticker?
The color code of the sticker varies based on the fuel type and compliance category. Different colors indicate different categories of compliance.
Why is the HSRP sticker required?
The HSRP sticker is required to indicate compliance with emission norms. It helps authorities easily identify vehicles that meet the required emission standards and contribute to environmental conservation.