If you are planning to transport your bike by train, you might have many questions and doubts about the process, charges, rules and regulations. Here, we will answer some of the common queries and provide you with A guide on how to transport bikes by train.
Bike Transportation Options in Indian Rail
Indian Railways provide two different methods of bike transportation by train: luggage and parcel.
This method allows you to transport your bike as your luggage in the parcel van of the train. However, for this method, you need a confirmed reserved ticket and a special sanction or approval from the railway authorities.
This depends on the availability of space in the parcel van and other technical reasons. The advantage of this method is that you can easily pick up your bike as soon as you reach the destination station and continue your travel with it.
The disadvantage is that it is more costly than the parcel method. The cost of the luggage is 25% more than that of the parcel.
This method allows you to transport your bike as a parcel without travelling by the same train. You need to book your bike as a parcel at least 24 hours before the departure of the train. You also need to pack your bike properly and label it clearly with your name, address, phone number, destination station and other details.
The advantage of this method is that it is cheaper than the luggage method. The disadvantage is that you need to wait for some days to receive your bike at the destination station and arrange for its delivery.
Bike Parcel Charges in Indian Rail
The bike parcel charges by train will vary depending on the total weight of your bike and the choice of your destination. Remember, bike transport charges on Indian Railways are always cheaper than other modes of transportation.
The following table shows the approximate bike parcel charges by train for some popular routes:
|Origin||Destination||Distance (km)||Charges (INR)|
Note: These charges are based on a bike’s average weight of 150 kg and are subject to change as per railway rules.
General Cost for Bike Transporting
|Packing cost||₹ 300 – ₹ 500|
|Delivery cost||Depends on your bike’s value and distance to your destination.|
|Insurance charges||Depends on your bike’s value, which will be included with the parcel cost. There will be no extra cost if the price transport declaration is up to ₹ 10,000. However, there will be a 1% extra charge if this amount is more.|
Distance slabs here are marked by kilometres. So, if the distance of bike transport is about 290 km, and your bike’s weight is about 100 kg, then your bike parcel charge will be about ₹ 121.73. Moreover, you might also have to pay about ₹ 200 – ₹ 250 for the packing cost of your bike.
Steps to Book Bike as Parcel
If you want to book your bike as a parcel, you need to follow these steps:
1. Bring a photocopy of your bike’s registration certificate and a government ID proof to the parcel office at the railway station.
2. Pack your bike properly before booking. Make sure that the petrol tank is empty and the battery is disconnected. You can either pack your bike yourself or hire a professional packer at the station.
3. Label your bike clearly with your name, address, phone number, destination station and other details on a piece of cardboard. Tie the cardboard to your bike securely.
4. Fill the forwarding note with the details of your bike, such as make, model, registration number, weight, value, etc. You also need to mention whether you want to insure your bike or not.
5. Pay the prescribed charges for your bike parcel and get a receipt. Keep the receipt safely as you will need it to claim your bike at the destination station.
Steps to Book Bike as Luggage:
If you want to book your bike as luggage, you need to follow these steps:
1. Pack and label your bike as mentioned above.
2. Produce your confirmed reserved ticket at the parcel office along with your ID proof and bike’s registration certificate.
3. Get a special sanction or approval from the railway authorities for transporting your bike as luggage. This depends on the availability of space in the parcel van and other technical reasons.
4. Pay the prescribed charges for your bike luggage and get a receipt with an endorsement on your ticket. Keep both the receipt and the ticket safely as you will need them to claim your bike at the destination station.
5. Load your bike in the parcel van of the same train that you are travelling by. Make sure that your bike is secured properly and does not cause any inconvenience to other passengers or luggage.
Steps to Claim Bike at Destination Station
Whether you book your bike as a parcel or as luggage, you need to follow these steps to claim it at the destination station:
1. Show your original receipt and ticket (if applicable) at the parcel office and get a delivery order.
2. Go to the parcel warehouse and show your delivery order to the staff. They will locate your bike and hand it over to you.
3. Check your bike for any damages or missing parts. If you find any, report it to the staff and file a claim form.
4. Unpack your bike and reconnect the battery. Fill the petrol tank and start your bike. Enjoy your ride!
Bike Transport Rules by Indian Rail
Before you transport your bike by train, you need to be aware of some of the rules and regulations by Indian Railways. These are:
– You need to book your bike as a parcel or as luggage at least 24 hours before the departure of the train.
– You need to pack your bike properly and label it clearly with your details and destination station.
– You need to empty the petrol tank and disconnect the battery of your bike before packing.
– You need to produce a photocopy of your bike’s registration certificate and a government ID proof at the time of booking.
– You need to pay the prescribed charges for your bike transport based on its weight and destination.
– You need to insure your bike if you want to claim compensation in case of any damage or loss.
– You need to keep your receipt and ticket (if applicable) safely as you will need them to claim your bike at the destination station.
– You need to check your bike for any damages or missing parts before accepting it at the destination station. If you find any, report it to the staff and file a claim form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long does it take to transport a bike by train?
A: The time taken to transport a bike by train depends on factors such as the availability of trains, speed of trains, number of stops and halts, etc. Generally, it takes 2-3 days for a bike to reach its destination by train.
Q: How can I track the status of my bike by train?
A: You can track the status of your bike by train using the waybill number on this website. You can also call or visit the parcel office of the railway station for updates.
Q: What if my bike gets damaged or lost during transit by train?
A: If your bike gets damaged or lost during transit by train, you can file a claim or complaint with the railway authorities within six months of booking. You will need to produce the documents such as the luggage ticket, endorsement, parcel receipt, waybill, etc. as proof of ownership and payment of charges.
know about High security number.